Tuesday 17 November 2015

#BEDN - Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home - a bit of a cliché isn't it?  So what does it make me think of?

I think of those twee little signs that you see hanging on the walls of certain styles of kitchen. Not my style of thing, I prefer my kitchen signs a bit more feisty - beware of the cook or hand over the chocolate and no-one gets hurt - but I guess some folk like the sentiment. Sweet is rather appropriate in the kitchen with all the baking that goes on I suppose.

What is a 'sweet' home? Is it the residents that are sweet? Or the atmosphere? Or the building itself? I've never been quite sure about that. My home isn't particularly sweet most of the time (unless I have been baking of course) - we're more savoury in my family! By that I mean that we don't do sweet and soppy (ok I do sometimes ...) we're more likely to watch an action film or some sci-fi rather than a chick flick. Maybe that's because I'm outnumbered by the lads! I have a romantic streak in me and can be rather girly at times but the boys don't share this with me. So we tend more towards practical and the romance stays strictly with me.

But that's not to say that my home isn't important to me. In fact it's the most important thing to me. I'm a real home body, never happier than when I'm in my own environment with my boys around me. In a perfect world I'd never leave. That's not to say that I'm unsociable. I love a good outing as much as the next girl but as any social opportunity approaches I start to wish that I'd said 'no' and I could stay at home. I think part of that is anxiety about what might happen when I'm away from home. Of course nothing bad ever does happen but that doesn't stop me worrying about it in the week before going anywhere.

So home is very important to me but it's not really sweet, it's more Marmite!

1 comment: