Tuesday 7 January 2020

Five Minute Writer - January 7th

Who's Calling, Please?

You pick up the phone to make a call but instead of the dial tone, you hear someone asking for help ...
The small voice sounded terrified, repeating 'Help me, please help me,' over and over. I wasn't sure if it was a child or an adult but the terror was unmistakable.
'Who is this?' I whispered, trying not to sound scared myself.
'Helpme, there's a monster in the house. I'm on my own and he's coming up the stairs.'
I swallowed hard, the receiver slipping in my sweaty hands. My mind raced, thoughts jumbled as I tried to find the right thing to say.
'Can you get out of the house? Can you escape?'
My voice was higher pitched and squeaked down the receiver.
'He's at the door, I'm in the wardrobe. The light's gone on ...'
I heard the person 's breathing quicken and the phone thudded to the floor. Scuffling sounds, a creak of hinges and the line went dead. I squealed and dropped my handset.

No comments:

Post a Comment