Sunday 5 January 2020

Five Minute Writer - January 5th

Not So Beautiful Words

As a writer I should be equally in love with all words, right? Well, that's not how it is. As a human I have preferences, likes and dislikes. Some words I use far too often, others I avoid like the proverbial plague. Today's task is to share something about a word I don't like. So here it is, one of my least favourite words - moist.
Yuk. Typing that was traumatic. It's a word that has nasty connotations in my mind. It brings up images of sweaty hands being wiped down soiled jeans, wet tissues left on tables, dampness and dankness. It's a word I shy away from, one that brings a sneer to my face without bidding. Nasty little word.
I'm not sure where some of these images come from. There must have been an episode that triggered my dislike of 'mositness' but it's buried so far down I can't begin to think what is was. It's a sleazy word, inhabiting the slimy side of life, a very male word that makes my skin crawl. There are so many words that could be used in its stead, why does it even exist? Yuk again I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment