Wednesday 1 January 2020

Five Minute Writer - January 1st

I wanted something to kick start my writing habit and Nicola Young suggested I take a look at The Five Minute Writer by Margaret Geraghty. It's filled with ideas and exercises to do which give you something to write about when you feel blocked or stuck. Maybe just when you're not sure what to write to kick the habit off on any given day. So I'm using these exercises to get into a good, regular writing habit. And to keep myself accountable I'm planning to post what I write here so everyone can see when I fall behind or lose the habit.

The first exercise asks about rituals and ritualistic behaviour. Here is what I came up with in my allotted five minutes.

The Power of Ritual
Filling the kettle is a time to contemplate. Only a few seconds until there is enough water to boil but it is a time to stare out of the window and wonder at the world. Someone is passing, where are they going? Early morning bus to catch maybe, dog to walk usually. The water fills the kettle and I place and plug, a blue light glows to signal electric current passing. The wonders of modern convenient living. No need to draw water from a well or pump, no need to build and light a fire. All modern living happens with the click of a switch. The national grid connects me to every other soul who is making tea at 7am. Steam rises and I pull the kettle from its cradle, pour the water onto leaves and wait, staring through the window again. I seem to spend many minutes watching through windows. Kitchen, lounge, bus, coffee shop. All panes I have watched the world through. I must have seen many thousand souls passing by the windows, wondered at their lives, guessed who they were and where they were heading.

No comments:

Post a Comment