Thursday 6 January 2022

People Who Inspire Me - #bloganuary

 When I first read today's prompt I read 'people that I admire' - must clean these glasses! I started to make a list of feminist icons, climate activists, strong women ... Then I looked again and saw it was inspiration rather than admiration and I stopped listing. Being an inspiration is more personal so I looked closer to home.

Jean Cartwright was one of my secondary school English teachers. I looked up to her so much. She was everything I aspired to be - stylish, poised, knowledgeable. I guess I hero-worshipped her. But the inspiring part was that she ignited a love of reading and writing in me. The way she talked about literature as if it was the most wonderful, vital part of life opened my eyes to the possibility that books could change lives, could shape who you were, could open your eyes and your mind. I developed a serious love of literature, possibly to impress Mrs Cartwright but I started to take my English lessons seriously and have continued to study and enjoy books ever since. After she was my teacher we became friends and I used to babysit her daughter. Everything about her lifestyle impressed me - her stylish home, her well stocked bookcases, her quirky little Fiat 500. For a while I wanted to be Jean Cartwright! We lost touch after I went to college and she left my old school but I often think about her and wonder where she ended up.

I'm also inspired by all the women I've met through the What I'm Writing Facebook group. They're all making their best work creatively. They've become friends and I look to them for inspiration when I start to suffer from doubt or procrastinate. Despite having busy lives, full time jobs, children and all the other baggage women carry they write and share and care and inspire. Thank you ladies, you never fail to astound me and surprise me. Keep doing what you do and never lose faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment