Sunday 2 January 2022

A Road Trip I'd Like To Take - #bloganuary

I'm not sure I'm a Road Trip kind of girl but I've always been drawn to the idea of pilgrimage. I know that I'm nowhere near fit enough to undertake a long sustained walk but there's nothing to stop me dreaming, is there?

I watched a programme where celebrities walked the Santiago di Compostela pilgrimage route and the scenery was stunning. It was a rather long way and many of them suffered physically but I guess that's one of the points of a pilgrimage: to suffer for your faith. I'm not big on suffering so maybe a shorter, more manageable route would suit me.

Many moons ago I studied some of the Canterbury Tales. Don't quiz me on it, I've forgotten most of what I read but that seems like a more manageable pilgrimage for an old soul like me. A walk from London to Canterbury, stopping off at the odd inn... lovely. There's even a website to sort it all out for me. Plus lots of more local pilgrimages to get me started.


So my road trip is a traditional pilgrimage between sacred spaces, taken at a leisurely pace, maybe with a companion and lots of resting and sitting down at local inns. Bliss! 

1 comment:

  1. Alison Carey-Jones3 January 2022 at 14:57

    Sounds like my kind of pilgrimage.

    ReplyDelete