Wednesday 5 January 2022

I Wish I Knew How To... - #bloganuary

 I flatter myself that I'm rather good with words: I can string together a sentence, make up a good character, conjure up something in the imagination. It's something I've done since childhood, invent and make up stories.  But one thing I was never any good at as a child was anything 'arty'.

I suppose as a young child I just drew and painted with abandon. Nothing seems to inhibit a child, they get stuck in, secure in their vision. It doesn't matter if the colours aren't quite right, if the legs are different lengths, if the perspective is wonky. Children revel in the process, enjoy doing it rather than overthinking everything.

I stopped doing anything vaguely 'arty' when a teacher looked at my painting of a waterfall and commented 'Well, that doesn't look very good does it? Try again.' I didn't try again, I put down my brush, washed out the palette and gave up. Looking back I can't remember what it looked like, whether it was a good waterfall or not. All I remember is what the teacher said. My confidence evaporated and never came back.

I have no skill at drawing or painting. I'm too scared that what I do will look 'wrong' so I don't even try. But I'd love to pick up a pencil or brush and capture a scene. I can do it with words but I'd love to do it visually as well. My talent with a pencil begins and ends with underlining a title. So if my wish could be granted I'd like to sketch like Laura Knight, Edward Hopper or Eric Ravilious. I'd like to paint like the Pre-Raphaelites, Joan Miro or Cezanne. I'd just like to get something that looks like what I imagined. Or even a straight line without too much wobbling!

No comments:

Post a Comment