Friday 3 July 2020

How does it feel to have a story go out into the world?




I'm new at this. Today, for the first time, one of my stories is out in the big wide world.
Really out there. Not being read by friends and family, out there for strangers to read.
How do I feel about this? Good question.

I suppose as a writer that should be my goal, to share my work and my stories with everyone. But so far that hasn't happened. I have sent things to contests and agents but nothing has made it any further than cyberspace and emails.

Today is different. Today an anthology of work is published by a new small press and I have something included. So somewhere, sometime, someone I don't know is reading my story. And I'm so nervous about that.

The chances of anyone telling me what they thought of my story are slim. I'm one of many and any feedback will probably be for the whole body of work. So I will have no idea what they thought of my story or even if they thought about it at all. But even so, it's out there, on it's own, finding an audience.

So I guess I have to embrace the weirdness and enjoy the feeling that I am a real, proper writer at last. I have a story to tell and there are people reading it as I type.

If you want to read the anthology, and I hope you do, you can download it from https://birchmoonpress.co.uk/
There is a variety of work, reflecting on their experiences of the pandemic. I am proud to be included, such talent and range. All the proceeds are being donated to https://rosauk.org/ who support women and girls through grants to make the UK a kinder, safer place for women.

I'd love any feedback and promise to reply if you comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment