Sunday 3 January 2016

Dreams - What's That About Then?

I dream a lot. By that I mean that I remember my dreams when I wake up more than many people.

Some of my dreams are just plain weird and make me wonder about my sanity; some are so naughty that I wake up blushing; some are really sad and I wake up in tears. I enjoy thinking about my dreams and they have provided some inspiration for writing in the past. But last night I had a dream that really got me thinking.

I was at the top of a tower, something like a lighthouse, with spiral stairs going down. I was in labour and I knew that I had to get to the bottom of the tower before I gave birth to the baby. As I struggled down the steps I passed windows or apertures which looked out over a succession of views - some pastoral scenes with sheep, fields and trees; some industrial scenes with streets, roads and houses in a Victorian era; some coastal scenes with the sea, a beach and cliffs in the distance. There were also doors at intervals and I looked through them into a variety of rooms -  a large Georgian ballroom with dancers swirling around the floor; a spacious barn with straw on the floor and horses in stalls; a dusty garage with tools hanging from the rafters. I only went into one which was a shop with furniture and housewares. I wandered around the shop, stroking the fabrics and peering through the coloured glass vases. There were no other people in the shop and the shop assistants kept their distance so I was alone as I browsed. On a bottom shelf I saw some gloves and picked up a brightly striped pair with open palms like driving gloves. They also had leather finger tips. I tried them on and they felt so wonderful that I bought them. I returned to the stairs and kept going down, still in labour. Each time I looked out of a window I noticed that despite going down I wasn't getting any closer to the bottom of the tower.

I woke up before I got to the bottom or gave birth. So I have no idea if I made it to the bottom before the baby was born which is a bit frustrating but I'm glad I don't have a baby to show for it!

So what is it all about then? It was such a surreal dream compared to the ones I normally have that I think there may be a message in there somewhere. I think my subconscious is trying to tell me something and I'd be a fool not to listen.
  
" I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams "
W.B.Yeats


No comments:

Post a Comment