Wednesday 27 May 2020

So, who is this person?




One of the lovely things about being a writer is getting to invent people. When I start a story I usually have a really clear picture of the main character. I know their name, what sort of person they are, little details about their background. I even go as far as to know what they'd have for breakfast or if they prefer tea or coffee. Details like that rarely make it into the story but they mean that the character is 'real' to me and I feel able to tell their story.

But sometimes there is a character who hides in the shadows, who won't reveal themselves to me as I begin. The novel I'm writing at the moment had such a character. I had a name for them and a vague idea what they were like but so much was hidden. Even as far as their physical appearance. Is she tall? Thin? Blue eyes? Nothing seemed 'solid' about her. She was like a ghost. How do you write about a character that hided from you?

But then suddenly she stepped out of the shadows and stood there clear as day. From the depths of my memory came the figure of a Great Aunt who was just the type of person I needed my character to be like. A few alterations and she was perfect - not my Great Aunt, my antagonist. She arrived with a full set of quirks and foibles and waited for me to bring her into the story.

So maybe all the characters are there in my head already, standing in the wings, waiting for their cue. No wonder I'm so flaky sometimes: my head's full of people jostling for their moment in the spotlight.

1 comment:

  1. I recognise the sensation of having a head full of characters! Sometimes they are louder than my kids!

    ReplyDelete