Friday 9 September 2016

The Prompt - Return

Hooray! The Prompt is back from its summer break, all tanned and relaxed. So it's time to stretch out those writing muscles and get creating. So here's my take on 'Return'.

Return

I'm going back, back in time.
Back to my roots.
Taking the train to my home town.
The city that shaped me, made me,
Turned me out into the world.
Fully grown I return to the place
I left when young and green.
Memories flood through me as the train
Chugs northwards, heading back.
Mixed feelings assault me,
Nostalgia for happy, carefree times,
Sadness for those lost and gone.
Everything has changed, new and shiny
Replacing old and familiar.
Returning here has left me bothered,
Unsure how I feel about this place,
Once so familiar, now so alien.
The young me loved the noise, the busy-ness,
The life of the city.
Older me feels overwhelmed, disturbed
Not at all relaxed here.
Was it a mistake to return?
Should memories stay firmly in the past?

I take my leave of my old home town
And return to my now hometown.
Glad I did yet not keen to do so again.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes it takes going back somewhere to confirm that where we are now is where we should be. Such a thoughtful piece. Thank you so much for sharing with #ThePrompt, I'm so pleased to see people back after my summer break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Sara and welcome back! Glad you liked my take on going back.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it strange going back to your hometown. My parents still live in mine and it is a clash of the now and back then. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels less like home every time I go there, which is sad but that's life really. I have no real ties to it anymore but the memories are good.

      Delete