Friday 20 February 2015

The Prompt - Dream

Dream
It is real, honestly! If you look you'll see them and then you can rescue me. But watch out for their teeth!
No, I'm not dreaming, they are really there and I'm scared that they'll get me.  I can't move, can't get out of bed because they'll get me.
Please, just look, they really are under there, waiting. They'll bite me and tear my feet off.  Then they'll start to chew my legs off and then I'll die.
Just have a peep, please? I can't put my feet on the floor because then they'll eat my feet. Don't you see? Why can't you understand?
There are hundreds of them, all snarling eyes and sharp teeth. They came after me but I managed to climb up on the bed. If I pull the covers over my head they can't see me. Then they can't get me so I am safe if I stay in bed under the covers.
Please, look under the bed, they're all hiding there, waiting for me to put my feet on the floor. They want to eat me! Why won't you understand?
Be careful! They might want to eat you too! They wait until you're not looking then they sneak up on you, baring their teeth and start to bite. They nip with needle sharp teeth, drawing blood which drips down onto their white feathers.
Here they come, waddling out from under the bed, teeth bared, snarling, snapping, coming to get me ...
This is inspired by a memory of a nasty dream I had as a child involving a gang of killer penguins. In my defence I was only about five at the time!   

6 comments:

  1. This made me chuckle - the idea of a gang of killer penguins! But I can completely understand why your childhood self would be terrified! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me smile now but I remember it as utterly terrifying at the time. Why penguins I don't know - we lived in Birmingham!

      Delete
  2. A gang of killer penguins? :D
    I had to smile at this post... I was five years old again, reading it! ;) Lovely writing. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey! One thing about hardly sharing my writing is I never know whether it's any good or not so your comment made my heart lift this morning.

      Delete
  3. This completely captures the irrational fear of a nightmare, where you truly believe if you stay under the covers or don't put your feet on the floor, you're safe! You may only have been five, but the memory has stayed with you! Thank you so much for sharing with #ThePrompt x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first dream in my life that I remember all these years later. Even now it seems vivid, although not as scary now.

      Delete