Sunday 29 June 2014

Book Swap

A few months ago I took part in a book swap organised by Jocelyn at   thereadingresidence.com. I was paired with Sarah,   boobellina.blogspot.co.uk and she sent me a book by Maggie O'Farrell called After You'd Gone. 


This is not the type of book I'd normally be drawn to.  I'd have classified it as 'Chick-Lit' and walked on by.  However once I started I realised that it wasn't like that at all.  It was a beautifully crafted book with some very interesting and realistic characters.  It's also a terrible weepy and as I'm a terrible weeper it needed several tissues and pauses to remember to breathe!

I sent Sarah The Gift of Stones by Jim Crace.  He's an author I've loved for many years.  The first book of his I read was Being Dead which is terrific with a really unusual narrative style.  Since than I've read all his books except Harvest which was shortlisted for the Booker Prize - I'm saving that one up for a treat!  Why do I do that?  If I want to read a book and I'm excited about it why put off reading it?  Just read the darn thing and enjoy it!  Right, that's my next read sorted out!

So when I saw that Jocelyn was running another book swap I emailed her at once.  I'm already looking forward to seeing what I get in the swap.  Now, which book should I send this time?  



2 comments:

  1. So pleased that you enjoyed your swap book, and I hope Sarah did, too. I do love how it gets you reading something you might not choose yourself, too. I'm sure I'd have cried, too! Lovely to have you involved in the latest one, too :) Thanks for sharing with #Paperypeep #BringBackPaper

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the first book swap too and am looking forward to the next one! I wouldn't have chosen the book I was sent and I did struggle with it. By the end I thought it was a good read but I'm happy to pass it on!x

    ReplyDelete