Monday 2 December 2019

Getting on the Submission Train

One of the things I promised myself - and others - at the last writing retreat I attended was that I'd start submitting my manuscript to agents and test the waters. So far I have managed one submission a week and got one rejection so far. But I am asking myself some deep questions. And I thought I'd share them here.

Do I really want to be traditionally published?
Well, the fact that I'm sending off my queries to agents would suggest that I do. I have fantasies about wandering into bookshops and seeing my book on the shelf. Not on the best sellers shelf, just quietly on one of the shelves. I pick up a copy, stroke the spine and stare at my name on the cover. Pride swells in my chest and I wipe away a tear - well this is a fantasy... So I think having a physical book on sale in a shop is the ultimate goal for me.

What if I can't get it published?
Being realistic I know that getting representation is tough and getting a publishing deal is almost tougher. So with my practical hat on I know that I may have to pursue other ways of getting the story out into the world. And here I think I'm open to the world of self publishing. I also know that the burden of publicity weighs heavily on a self published author but I think I'm ok with that. So as one door closes, who knows what opens.

Why is it important that my stories get out into the world?
I think everyone who writes does so for an audience other than themselves. The goal is to share what you have written, to let others enjoy your stories. And here I fall down because I promised that I would share some of my work via a podcast and I confess that I have done nothing to make that happen. So maybe that is a way I can share some of my work, maybe I need to be more focused next year and make it happen ...

So that is where I am as I send my letters and samples out into the world, wondering what I am doing it all for and crossing my fingers for positive reactions.



2 comments:

  1. So proud of you for doing this. It's brave and scary and I hope to be following you in the next few months. I wish you all the luck and positivity going. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is scary but I think it's an area I need to explore before looking at self publishing.

      Delete