Thursday 13 September 2018

Out of Step with Others




There are times when I find myself out of step. Sometimes it's just that I'm not up to date with the latest trends or slang. Sometimes it's because I haven't been watching the latest 'must see' TV show. Sometimes it's because I have chosen to stay on the outside because I don't want the stress of being on the inside!

Lately I have been struggling with reading. No, I haven't forgotten how to do it! I've been trying to plough through a book that I'm just not into because everyone who has read it is raving about it. What am I missing? I don't know but the darn thing isn't resonating with me and I'm avoiding picking it up.

I can hear my sister's voice shouting at me 'Life's too short for bad books' and I do agree with her. It's not like I've never stopped reading a book before the end in the past, as I remind myself every time I see Captain Corelli's Mandolin on a bookshelf.

So with reluctance I have decided to close the book and donate it. I'm just not getting the vibe that everyone else is and I have so many other books to read.

Bye bye unloved book and hello to all the other books on my To Read pile!

4 comments:

  1. Social media doesn't make things any easier, but keep doing your own thing, Jo and well done for making the descision to part with the book. I loved Captain Correlli's Mandolin, by the way, though it did take a long time to get into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard when everyone is telling you how awesome something is and you just don't get it. But I feel fine about releasing the book into the wild, I'm sure someone else will love it!

      Delete
  2. Ah, interesting. I gave up on Captain Corelli half way through. Now if I'm not feeling it by page 10 I'm done with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually give it until halfway so you're much braver than me!

      Delete