Friday 30 January 2015

The Prompt

Celebration
 
 
Reading the posts in this week's The Prompt I have been struck by the number of people writing in celebration of their family.  So that's where I take my inspiration for this post and I give you 
 
 
Family
 
My parents gave me and my sister the happiest of childhoods. I can't speak for her totally so I'll use my own experiences and memories to show you what I mean. I always felt loved. There was never a day when I doubted that. This gave me a real sense of security and for that I'll always be grateful. I remember only good and happy times (OK there was the odd teenage tantrum but let's gloss over that!)  My parents were loving, sensible, solid people and the start I got in life was nothing short of perfect.  Don't get me wrong, we were an ordinary working class family, nothing flash but I wouldn't change a thing (perhaps I'd be taller, slimmer and have more boyfriends!)
 
My sister is a few years younger than me. We fought like cat and dog for periods of our childhoods. We hardly seemed to have anything in common let alone were related. However as we grew and 'matured' we became closer. We don't live physically close but I think of her and her lovely family often. I know that there is a bond between us that is hard to define; I'd do anything for her and I know she'd always be there for me, having my back and holding my coat. Thanks sis, you're an awesome angel!  
 
My own family is small but perfectly formed. I've been married for more years than I care to remember to a wonderful man. He's a bit dotty at times, drives me mad by not paying attention when I'm talking but I wouldn't swap him for anything - not even Benedict Cumberbatch (although I could be tempted to stray for dinner with the divine Benedict)
 
I have a son who exasperates me on a daily basis. I'm sure that this is common to all parents. However he's clever, witty, erudite and keeps me on my toes whenever there's a quiz or crossword to be done. I dread the day he leaves me as there will be a huge hole in my life without him (not that I'll miss the socks!)
 
All these relationships and people I celebrate. My life would be a sadder thing without them.
So today I thank them for being part of my life and celebrate the love they give me, returning it a million times (with bells and pink glitter!) 

5 comments:

  1. Lovely post. I think family is the perfect thing to celebrate and your sounds like a great one. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Maddy. I agree that I have a pretty awesome family, so lucky really.

      Delete
  2. This is such a wonderfully feel-good post, loved reading it. It sounds like you have a wonderful family, and that definitely deserves celebration x Thank you so much for sharing with #ThePrompt x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara. Looking forward to next week's challenge!

      Delete
  3. Lovely celebration of being 'ordinary'

    ReplyDelete